20 hours on the bus later, I finally arrived in Salta, a little city in the northwest corner of Argentina. It´s located in a valley just below the Argentinian Andes and so picturesque with all the surrounding mountains, blue blue skies, and green green pastures.
Since I had a half day to kill, I managed to explore most of the city by foot. I started with a teleferico (cable car) ride up the nearby top of Cerro San Bernardo peak. Gorgeous views on a gorgeous, hot day. I saw the city end-to-end then hiked down on the cobble stone steps, and got spat out near the city center. I always forget just how much you can do in little tiny towns...I walked north, south, east, west...so much of it! Salta reminds me of the mountain town Huaraz in Peru, with the same moutain surroundings and peak up top. De ja vu. I wandered around and stumbbled onto several markets in town...one being the normal markets where you can find cheap necessities (like duffel bags for extra souvenirs you didn´t account for space-wise in luggage) and other local craft markets (which I found lots of good stuff). Ended up at a happening local spot at the north of town on Balcarce with a half bottle of wine and the equivalent of Pancake softrock mix in my ear (seriously started with Toto´s Africa, then Bon Jovi, More than Words, Firehouse, to the End of the Road, no jokes no jokes) to end the day. Rest now...big one planned for tomorrow! :)
