My first destination is Buenos Aires. It's springtime here in November, one of the best times to visit this city...one of the best times to visit south america in general since you're avoiding the high season of summer months down south (Jan-Mar), you're graced with spectacular weather (i.e. no humidity!), AND the patagonias are open for access!
First 24 hours have already been a ride. Naturally as a chinese woman, the first thing I found when I went strolling around the neighborhood was...Chinatown. Chinatown as in a collection of restaurants and shops spanning 3 blocks with the constant cling and clang of woks in the air. It is argentina, after all. AND since it's argentina, food has been exceptionally good. I've had the best meat, empanadas (yum yum!), and wine for the best price! Wandering around the big city has been super fun, but I think I've eaten my fill of museums and shops and ready for the big outdoors. Perhaps I had my fill of big cities during my europe trip this summer (paris can suck the museum juices out of anyone), or I'm just naturally drawn to the majestic outdoors, or I have a short attention span. Whatever the case may be, I'm ready for the the adrenaline rush that nature has stored up for me. Mountains, here I come!
But before signing out, here´s my top 6:
1. MEAT MEAT MEAT!!!! Parillas are the thing here, or ¨grill restaurants¨. Of course they serve a variety of meat, but steak is really the only way to go. One of the best places I went to was a restaurant in a gym (or club, as they call them down here), equipt with the eerie creepy yellow lights. It was a local gem and I stuck out like a sore thumb as the non-argentinian there. And boy do they do steak well there! yum yum yum! I´ll never be able to go to a steakhouse in the US of A again. US$15 per person for a steak, salad, big yummy chorizo, and a bottle of wine.
2.Vino. I´ve had vino every single day I´ve been in argentina and don´t intend to change that! Excellent wine exists in the world that won´t kill your pocketbook. Had some from Mendoza, Norton, and one other that I can´t remember. All excellent!
3. Markets. Leather goods are the thing to get here. They´re cheap and good quality made goods. My friend Jimena lives just 2 blocks down from one of the local markets and I was lucky enough to catch it over the weekend.
4. Dancing, of all kinds. Need I explain more? I unexpectedly ran into several local couples dancing tango in a local park under a giant gazebo (I later found out that they were FREE lessons given to anyone who showed up). It was a surreal moment and I knew I was in south america at that moment and the sight was so befitting of something you´d see in Argentina.
5. Empanadas. Absolutely the best I´ve ever had! It was a little shop called Nas Sarapia that you would just normally pass without a thought. But, the strong unequivocal scent of baked empanadas filled the street that would make anyone turn around!
6. Icu Creamu. Perfecto. Deliciously creamy, succulent, melt in your mouth, so, so good. Better than any I´ve had.
So there you have it. Don´t mind that 5 of the 6 things are all food related, but I´m asian afterall and I like to eat. :)
